Saturday 3 November 2012

Make Up Artistry Course

I thought I'd share my make up course journey here as I had the best time and met some really amazing people on the way. I have to say it was a lot harder than I expected, but in a good way (if that makes sense). I went to London Muse Makeup School. The course was 12 days intensive Monday to Saturday from 10 to 17 plus a photo shoot day. The first week was Foundation and second week Advanced. My tutor was Nicci Jackson and I also had other working makeup artists such as Franceso Lo Cascio and Aga Burowa on other days. We would focus on a specific part of the face in the mornings with demos and practice sessions in the afternoons.
I won't post all days in a post otherwise it will be too much but I'll post 3 days of the course per post to make things a bit easier.



Day 1:

We covered the basic principles. Hygiene, etiquette, skin prep, facial geometry, kit knowledge and all that jazz. By the end of the afternoon we all had to pair up with someone else and draw a perfectly straight square on each others face. As easy as it may sound, it was far from that. As obvious as it may be, peoples faces are differente and not the same technique will work for everyone. As you can see in the picture bellow not only have I failed miserably I had to take it all off and start again a few times, so that's my unfinished work on the lovely Festina. 



Day 2:

On day 2 we covered creating the perfect base, camouflaging and contouring. Our tutor Nicci talked us through different primes and foundations, their textures and what they are good for. Skin tones it is still quite confusing to me, warm, pink, yellow, cool, neutral. Ahh. I'm just hoping practice and experience will make things easier as I can still loose a bit of time finding the perfect match for others. I thought it was going to be easy as I have always put make up on my family and most of them use the same foundation colour as myself and I can now say we all have the same skin tone. But when it came to choosing a colour for someone else it was so hard. It took me a good 20 minutes to find the perfect match (with the help of tutors) but it worked out so well. Here's a picture of Sem and her skin perfectly evened out with Chanel Pro Lumiere in 20. It was such a gorgeous colour and texture for her skin. Sem choose MAC Studio Sculpt in NW20 (warm undertone) and it was a perfect match. I have always bought NC (cool undertone) foundations from MAC thinking that it would neutralise redness, but this is definitely a winner! Love it!! We also covered concealing imperfections and under eye circles. MAC Studio Finish concealer was one of the favourite but what really stood out to me was the Derma palette. It is a camouflage cream that covers everything. It is quite thick but it is also quite creamy when warmed up between your fingers. It comes in a array of colours and it comes in a nice little palette with 20 different colours, you can mix them and find your perfect match. Awesome!




Day 3: 

Smokey eyes

On day three we learned smokey eyes, eye liner effects and mascaras. Nicky talked us through a fool proof smokey eyes. Basically, starting your base with a dark kohl pencil and building up from there. If you know the technique well enough, just a smudged pencil across the lid will do the trick. On picture bellow Niccy used a khol pencil and built up using eye shadows and pigments. She also did a flicked eyeliner and it looked so easy until I tried. To be honest I can't do it on myself properly, let alone on someone else haha so I'll definitely be practicing it. The person I was paired up with had to leave the class so I ended up practicing on our tutor Nicci, and let me tell you, I was so nervous. Not only she was the tutor and I wanted to impress haha she also had a hooded eyelid, which I have never ever done before. Apparently I didn't do too bad for my first time on someone else's eye. :) Yay!

Nicci's work on Sem

Sem's work on Lucy

My work on tutor Nicci

Not bad eh? I absolutely loved every minute of the course and I can't wait to start practicing on every one I know and post the other days on here. 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment